Thursday, February 02, 2006

Choccywoccydoodah

chocywoky

The name of this chocolatier and fancy cake maker alone deserves a mention. A baroque creation as ornate and bizarre as any of the incredible cakes they make, and let me tell you, they make some of the most beautiful looking cakes in the country. They have two shops, one just off the Edgware Road and another in Brighton. It was in the south coast store, where they began some twelve years ago, that I bought this selection of chocolates flavoured with variously champagne, vodka, brandy and rum. It was also in the Brighton shop that I saw one of the cakes that the company had made for the last Harry Potter film, a stunning chocolate and gold phoenix rising up from delicate leaves of dark chocolate. Possibly the most incredible confection I have ever seen. Mention the name of Chockywockydooda's to anyone in Brighton and they get this faraway look in their eyes and a distant "chocolate cake" sussurates from their lips. You'll hear people make incredible claims regarding the ingredients, that they for example, put two whole bottles of Napoleon Brandy in the cake mix. I for one rate them as the finest exponents of the art of chocolate that we have in this town, bizarre name and all.

Choccywoccydoodah, 47 Harrowby Street
Phone: 020 7724 5465

Technorati Tags: /

2 comments:

cookiecrumb said...

Mm. I would just say "Oompa, Loompa, doom-pa-dee-do."

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe I've been to Brighton about 5 times on various trips to England, and have never been to Chockywockydooda's! I'll just have to go back again :). In the meantime, I'll just drool all over my keyboard (one of the many hazards of food blogging that no one warns you about).