Saturday, February 18, 2006

Dinner for a sore head

wildasp

Hung over and feeling more than a bit sorry for myself after a night on the sauce I'd tried the all old tricks to shift that slightly leaden feeling behind the eyes. An English breakfast, cups of tea, and a handful of painkillers hadn’t really done the job. So, I was trudging around town doing a few chores and picking up a few bits for dinner. I figure that after the greasy breakfast and with my head still pounding I’m going to need something fresh tasting, something with a bit of zing to cut through the fog. I’m in my local deli and I pick up a jar of wild asparagus in virgin olive oil whilst the lady behind the counter is cutting wafer thin slices of Prosciutto Toscana for me. These are thin crunchy and with a fierce intense flavour and with proscuitto and just the thing to clear the head. They are preserved raw and the oil is a brilliant green colour, which dribbled over Parmesan, gives a double punch of flavour. Dinner consisted of a plate of the cured ham, a pile of the asparagus and a plate of spinach with butter beans spiked with garlic. Strong flavours, but clean ones to cut through befuddlement and self pity.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

my mum sends me boxes of Resolve.
Even though they only let her buy one box at a time in Sainsbury's.

*kel said...

Mmm...those prosciutto...
i wonder if they taste anything like the jamon pata negra here in bcn.

kel @ Green Olive Tree

shaz said...

hi there. nice pixs. I'm a food blogger from Singapore. I added your site as a link on mine. I hope you dun mind! keep up the great work! cheers!

Anonymous said...

I just recovered from a nasty cold including lots of headache - so you have all my sympathy :) I hope, the aspargus/prosciutto combo (extravagant photography!) helped you over it!