Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Small victory...

stirfry

I’m terrible at stir-fries. I don’t think I have the patience for the methodical planning that needs to go into the preparation or the dexterity for the flashy cooking part. I love them for the ease that you can put them together and for the clean flavours, but I know mine are always a bit of a disappointment. I know I don’t the have the kitchen set up for them particularly. The burner on the stove doesn’t really get the wok hot enough, though it is hot enough to spit boiling oil in my face. I know the rule about never cooking more than one portion so as not to over load the wok, but mine are still always a little bit on the steam sludge side or basically uncooked. So, it was with some satisfaction this evening that I made one that almost passed muster, one that I thought I would share with you all, because if you can’t celebrate your small culinary triumphs on your own damn food blog, then there is something seriously amiss! It didn’t look as pretty as it should, but it was getting close to that marriage of sweet crisp vegetables and tender seared meat that you need for a success in a wok. I was chuffed.

No comments: