Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Cravings

lemonmeringue
Winter is pretty much here, that much is sure. The days have gotten cold; parker coat wearing cold. There was a snow fall when I was on the train the other day, and as I type the train I am on is flying through a deep fog; the South Downs are wreathed in soft white, a landscape for ghosts.

This time of year is a tricky one. You'll hear people blame the oddest things on the "change in the weather". Dodgy knees, broken down buses, unruly hair and squeaky shoes have all been explained away by the fact that the temperature has dropped and the nights drawing in.

The one thing that can be explained in the persistent and all encompassing cravings for sweet things that has gripped me over the last few days. From baking on Sunday, eyeing up Patisserie Valerie every time I pass and resisting and then walking past the Real Patisserie Company last night and giving in. Hence the two rather good lemon meringue pies in the picture. I'm craving biscuits, cakes, chocolate and strangely, liquorice, which I hate.

It's funny to think that this is basically the same instinct that every mammal has this time of year, to get fat and then sleep for a few months. It is unfortunate that we have lost the whole hibernation thing; I can't help thinking that I'd be very good at it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol- great post, I know what you mean. These look ridiculously good!

Anonymous said...

You make winter sound so nice. We're ready to come out of our hibernation now. I much prefer summer.

Catherine said...

OK...I'm not a sweet tooth but those look really awesome. I love this time of year...the first really cold nip....and my brother's in London and says the weather's pretty darn good!

cookiecrumb said...

It hasn't really struck in Marin County yet, although tonight the temperature is going down close to freezing.
I'm so surprised at my own positive attitude sliding toward winter this year, because like Barbara, I much prefer summer.
However, I do have that Yorkshire pudding to look forward to next month.
Oh, and I should tell Catherine about my not-too-sweet pie for Thanksgiving. :)