Tuesday, December 06, 2005

What's the beef?

porterhouse

Is there anything that hits that primal part of your brain as a piece of beautifully marbled meat waiting for the pan? Is there anything as sexy as a woman eating a bloody steak? Is there any dinner more deeply satisfying than this?
Later that same evening...
I'm sat up at nearly midnight, cup of camomile my only ally, having tossed and turned in bed, sleeplessness cause most likely by the massive protien hit I gave myself earlier in the evening and so I got thinking thinking about food, some would say as per usual. I got thinking about that steak and the way it made me feel, the way I got excited about it and thought of it as something to marvel at, something to cherish. After all this is a piece of meat, a bit of animal; A rather noble shaggy Angus, in this case, munching away on heather and the like. Yet, some foods excite the psyche, a great meal is up there with a good book, a great song, a fondly remembered love affair. Something vital, something extraordinary. Few of those meals are in Michelin starred restaurants, they are the simple ones, they remind us of friends, long gone relatives, good things and bad times. I suppose these things are so transitory, so ephemeral, cooking & eating with friends, with lovers, with family, so mundane, so everyday, you can easily forget how lucky you are to have them. Eat well!

3 comments:

cookiecrumb said...

OK, I'm gonna get crapped on for this. But. Your paean to eating beef -- honest, appreciated, true -- reminded me of my defense for wearing a fur coat:
"When the foxes take over, they can skin me."

Monkey Gland said...

I tell one thing cookie, they are taking over in my little leafy part of London. Gangs of then hanging about on street corners with leather jackets and bad attitudes...

cookiecrumb said...

What kind of leather? The skinning has already begun?