Wednesday, December 06, 2006

When the party's over...

hangover

I've been trying to find a suitable opening to this post for about twenty minutes. To be honest, the only thing I have to say is this: Christ, I am hungover. It's my first full blown, skull aching, mouth like the bottom of a bird cage, hazy memory of last night, stinking, post party fallout of the Christmas season and, fuck me, it's a good one. Last night is a blur of Havana Club and coke, poorly advised Karaoke and tequila shots, followed by a very early morning fry up. I am sleep deprived and dehydrated and frankly, I'll never drink again.

So, the state I find myself in got me looking for hangover cures. Now, there seem to be a couple of different schools of thought on this. The first one calls for more booze and the second for the refuge that only the pharmaceutical industry can give you. There is a third, which is the roughly hewn knowledge that every proud Englishman knows, that only a fried breakfast will cure a hangover. Seeing as I indulged in that around three o'clock this morning whilst still very drunk, I'm not tempted to go that route.

So, I went for the good old ibuprofen and vitamin C cocktail upon waking. This is surprisingly effective, but as the day went on I had to say that the effects were purely cosmetic and rather short lived. A toasted bagel with pastrami and melted cheese came my way at around the same time and this provided a more satisfying result for an hour or so. I must have been looking pretty bad at my desk since I turned round to not one, but two cups of tea being brought to me by various just as ill looking co-workers.

Sushi. That will cure us, someone suggested as lunch approached. I liked the idea. Clean, fresh and pure flavours and maybe some heat to get those sluggish body functions going one again. It worked pretty well. Though, a little too well. It had a rather startling purging effect, which I won't go into now. I spent the rest of the afternoon in the warm fug of my headphones and endless cups of tea, punctuated by various sweet things. This has a pleasing soothing effect but the hangover still lingers, so I am typing this with an accompanying Bloody Mary which seems to be doing the trick.

For completeness sake, I include this recipe from the St John cookbook called Dr Henderson, which Fergus Henderson claims is the cure for any overindulgence: 2 parts Fernet Branca, 1 part Creme de Menthe. I'm saving this one for next time.

9 comments:

Julia said...

Oh dear, :-)

I've got my first Christmas party on Friday night, the office party, at a London bar. I might be needing some of your tips.

Personally I find hair of the dog really does do the trick but not until at least 5pm the next day. Before that time you'll find me curled up on the sofa groaning or on the bathroom floor when I have a hangover!

Catherine said...

I love your writing. I've heard good things about the bloody mary's but haven't tried it myself. its that tequila that leaves you hurting. drink water. eat bread.

Unknown said...

Oooh, you poor baby. We have an electrolyte drink for infants here in the States called Pedialyte. That and a couple of aspirin help quite a bit. But I've never found a total cure.

Hang in there...

cookiecrumb said...

I will not eat on a hangover. No.
Fool, me, perhaps, but no barfing is desired.
OK, one-half a beer is allowed. Helps a lot.

Anonymous said...

Next time, try the cuban cure: ice cream or a teaspoon of olive oil straight down before you start drinking. Mama says...

Barbara said...

Lucky you. How wonderful to enjoy drinking and not care about the following day. I find a meat pie with tomato sauce the best cure.

Acme Instant Food said...

Ouch (but WHAT fun!).

Saturday night, we hit the town (as we often do) and met friends at, well, let's just say that we sampled the offerings of more than one establishment. We ended the evening at about 1:45 and hit the greasy burger join that is located right in the midst of this cluster of bars and nightclubs in West Hollywood. I think they must earn over half of their business from these late night diners who crave burgers, fries (COVERED in salt)and onion rings. I chased all of the above down with a big glass of water and jumped out the bed the next morning with no problem. Works for me every time, with the exception of an excess of tequila--nothing saves me from that.

Anonymous said...

Very painful (particuarly on a cold morning) but a very cold bath or shower helps set me straight!

Liz said...

Yikes. Worcestershire (sp?) and a raw egg usually does it for me. But sushi? My d*g you're brave.