Sunday, August 16, 2009

Recipes

DSC_0044


The recipe was from Nigel Slater's Real Food, a battered copy of which has been on my shelf for as long as I can remember (it came out in 2000, so I obviously have dementia). Mushroom and Spinach Lasagne. It's a good recipe. An old friend, if you will. A dish that made sense even when you read it on the page. Solid.

I'm no particular fan of Nigel, the cookbooks pretty good. Out of interest I've just spent an amusing five minutes reading the amazon.co.uk reviews of it, which range from gushing to accusations of impropriety and one poor chap getting quite annoyed about the quality of the binding. The only reason I mention it is that some books just seem to stay with you, they aren't that exciting, they are just part of your kitchen landscape splattered with ingredients from the recipes they contain. A map of failed attempts and successes smeared across the pages like very haphazard medieval illuminations.

No comments: